The past few years, blogging has been HARD for me. I went through a period in my life where I feel like I had lost my voice. I felt like I had nothing to say, nothing interesting to share, and nothing helpful for people to read. Part of that was because I was going through a refocusing period in my business – going from shooting almost exclusively weddings to shooting almost exclusively babies in one season can be a bit of a shock to the system, and I was completely consumed with learning this new branch of business. What I didn’t realize at the time was that I should’ve USED my blog as a way to navigate those new waters, and share that journey with everyone else, rather than neglecting my blog entirely!
I realize it’s a little late to do a post about “2016 Goals,” but it’s not too late to do some Welcome Back to Blogging goals 🙂 So far, this year has been an absolute whirlwind and I can’t believe that May is already almost halfway over! I don’t know about you, but it definitely doesn’t feel like that to me! The year may be a third of the way over, but who says you have to come up with goals for the year in January? Spring has sprung in a big way in Hampton Roads, and I’m feeling refreshed and ready to get back into blogging regularly!
Over the next few weeks and months, I’m going to start sharing more about my life behind the lens, my goal and mission for this blog, and some of the things that really set my heart on fire. For now, though, some goals for the rest of the year 🙂
- Build a blogging calendar and stick to it. One of my biggest goals for this year is to get back into blogging and sharing my world with you! Working from home can get super lonely sometimes, and it’s nice to share the journey with other people.
- Book two to three more editing clients. Over the past few years, I have been editing on and off for a few different photographers, and I have LOVED it! Especially when my shooting calendar slowed down after I stopped shooting weddings, editing for other photographers helped me stay connected to photography, and I love that I get to serve other photographers and help them take their lives back!
- Host 5 Thirty One parties! I’ll be sharing more about this in a new blog series, but last year I become a Thirty One Independent Consultant. For those who don’t know, Thirty One is a company that sells bags, purses, and home organization solutions for the every day woman! Our mission is all about supporting, encouraging, and rewarding women and I love that! But more to come on that later 🙂
- FINALLY get unpacked and completely moved in. You might remember how I talked a bit about moving in with David a few months back, well, it’s been a few months…and I’m still not completely unpacked! The basement is still full of my junk, so it’s my goal to go through everything and get completely unpacked (and get rid of what I don’t need anymore) before the wedding in September!
- Buy a new lens. Yup! I thought I was completely done with gear for a while, but I’ve been thinking about what lens I want to take on our honeymoon, and I decided I can’t decide between my prime lenses, so it’s time to add a zoom lens to the mix. For all the photographers out there, I’d love to get your opinions on the difference between the 24-70mm and the 24-105mm 🙂
- Photograph some adorable new babies! I’ve already got three newborns on the calendar coming up, but if you know someone who’s having a baby and needs photos of that sweet new little life, I would love to help out with that! Newborns are definitely my passion and I love getting to document that time for a new family! My goal for the 2016 was to photograph 10 new babies, and so far I’m at four. I’d love to hit that 10 goal!
- Play around with some more night photography. Night photography has always been a passion of mine, and last week when we had those huge storms, I brought out the tripod to try to catch some lightning before the rain started. Had the clouds not been there, I think it might’ve worked 🙂