I really can’t believe it’s 2018. TWENTY EIGHTEEN. Phew.
The start of a new year always seems to bring a lot of reflection, plans, and dreams. 2017 was a giant year for me. David and I welcomed our beautiful Baby Saithe into the world, I celebrated one year at BB&T (while on maternity leave), David and I celebrated one year of marriage, and went on a bunch of adventures together. We did some major house projects, worked on cleaning and purging a bit, and made our house ours. I started building my photography business back up while on maternity leave, and although it’s taken a bit of a dive again since returning to work, I’m actually ok with that (more on that later). The year seemed to fly by, and although I’m pretty sure everyone who’s ever had a baby will agree, it still took me by surprise how fast the second half of the year went by once Saithe was with us.
I’ve got some big goals for 2018. I heard a long time ago that sharing your goals out loud was a good way to keep yourself accountable and make sure that they get done. So, that’s what I’m here to do! Before I talk myself out of sharing some of the bigger, scarier goals, let’s jump right in.
- Declutter. I’ve slowly but surely been realizing that we’ve just got too much stuff. I’ll be honest, most of it is my stuff, but it’s here and it’s taking up space and we have to deal with it. I’m tired of feeling weighed down by all of our stuff, and feeling like the house is constantly cluttered and in need of cleaning and organizing. Now, I realize that having a baby makes that a little harder – she’s got a lot of stuff, and it’s going to be everywhere. That’s not what I mean. I mean the stuff that’s just sitting around without a home or a purpose. Do I really need all those tshirts from college that don’t fit anymore? Probably not. Do I really need seventeen rolls of Christmas wrapping paper? Again, probably not. That’s what I mean.
- Travel. I LOVE traveling and going on adventures. I never want to stop exploring new places.
- Honor, love, and support my husband. I really can’t say enough how amazing David is. He is the most caring, supportive, and loving person ever. He has a way of caring for me that refuels my soul, but he does it so quietly and so well that sometimes I don’t even realize it until way after the fact. He is amazing, and his silly sense of humor makes life fun, and I want to make more of an effort this year to make sure he knows how much I appreciate and love him all the time.
- Read 12 books. Last year my goal was 10, and to be honest I’m not even sure if I met that goal or not, but I was consistently reading/listening to books and I’m counting that as a win! I love reading, and being able to listen to books in the car is fantastic. I definitely want to keep that up.
- Get closer to God and cultivate a church family. In 2016, David and I found a church that we love! Unfortunately, since we found that church, life has been pretty crazy (hello wedding and baby within a year) so we haven’t been very good about going consistently. This year we’re making a commitment to go to church regularly, and I’m hoping that will prompt us to get involved in our church and cultivate relationships and friendships with people at church.
- Figure out what exactly God wants me to do with my life. For years, I’ve felt an inkling of a calling. A tiny little push in one direction or another. Mostly I would shy away from it, out of fear or stubbornness, honestly I’m not sure. But lately I’ve felt that push get a little stronger. I’m not sure exactly what direction He’s pushing me in, but I know for sure it involves getting uncomfortable and stepping outside my comfort zone bubble I’ve been living in.
- Figure out a new direction for the blog and the business, and get back to blogging regularly. To be completely honest, I’ve kind of been feeling like photography has failed me. Or maybe I failed it. Either way, it hasn’t been bringing me the JOY that it used to, and the blog has suffered because of it. I used to love writing, and I would love to get back to writing this year. But I’m not sure a photography blog is the way to go. I think I first realized that when I noticed that all of my recent posts have been about Saithe or being a working mom – just general life stuff, really. I’ve also started crocheting again and I found new love in painting, so I think I’ll start blogging about those things as well!
- Find my JOY. This one goes right along with the previous goal. If photography isn’t bringing me joy, I need to find out what will. Painting has become a HUGE source of joy for me, and crocheting and creating things has as well. It’s so easy for me to get bogged down with the monotony of every day life – working, taking care of the essentials, just kind of floating along. It’s a good way to get super burned out super quickly. This is a big goal for me this year – even if it means just taking 20 minutes in the evening to sit down and write, or get my paints out for an hour – whatever it takes, I want to grow my joy.
I’ve been working through my Powersheets, maybe I’ll even do a blog post about that! But I’m still working on a “word” for 2018. So far I’ve had quite a few pop into my head, but none that have really stuck. I like the intentionalness of the Powersheets, though. They really make you think outside the box about what’s really going on. That deep, introspective thought is what I really need right now.
I’m really excited for 2018. I’m excited for the potential it holds, the goals I want to accomplish, and for another year with my sweet little family. Tell me, what are some of your goals for 2018? What are you looking forward to this year?